[Bf-docboard] XFig license change

Felix Rabe bf-docboard@blender.org
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 18:25:15 +0100

Dear XFig team,

The documentation team over at http://www.blender.org/ (of which I am a
member) was recently struggling with the task of opening and editing an
EPS file using free software.  I remembered some free programs that
would be suitable for this task, but could not name any of them exactly,
since I'm currently not doing any vector-based image editing.

To make a long story short: somebody mentioned XFig, but was unsure
about its exact kind of license, so I went looking for it from
freshmeat.net, and found your page at www.xfig.org.  I went on to look
after a copyright notice, and I found that it (seemingly) had just
changed a few days ago to prohibit selling XFig alone.

Since I see that this could cause many complications (aside from the
fact that the Free Software Foundation will call it GPL-incompatible, or
even Non-Free Software), I'd like to hear about your motivation that led
to this change.

It is of additional interest to me since the "Blender DocBoard" chose a
non-free (as per the FSF) license (the Open Content License) as its
primary license for documentation, which similarily prohibits the sale
of the product that is affected by the license, although there are plans
to let a publisher sell a printed version of the documentation effort's
manual somewhen in the future.  I'm still hoping to be able to convince
them that the OCL is not the ideal license in this situation, but I'd
like to hear your arguments for this matter nonetheless.

Greetings,

Felix Rabe