[Bf-docboard] particle system

Felix Rabe bf-docboard@blender.org
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 17:23:04 +0100

Stefano Selleri wrote:
> No, it was xfig,
>
> id does create EPS and imports it, but you cannot edit what yo've imported.
> Anyway it is a nice piece of software with its own
> file format (*.fig) and it is vectorial, and it is in any Linux Distro...
>
> ... and, no, Felix, I don't know if it is GPL...

It _was_ compatible, but they seem to have changed the license (which
_was_ similar to the BSD one) to exclude sales of the software itself
(like the OCL does with OC).  See http://www.xfig.org for more details.
  This makes it probably a perfect target for exclusion of Debian (it is
still there - i.e., a 3.2.4-pre1 version or similar), which would be
unfortunate.

I'll contact them right now or look what their motives are.

----

On the other side, the XForms library has been freed up - and I can now
finally try out LyX (it is now included in Debian (main)).

I just think it is a lot more healthier for "open" software to be GNU
GPL-compatible, and many people have recognized this for many reasons.

Now I'll dig xfig.org to find out what's the matter there :/

cu,
Felix