[Bf-cycles] [GSoC 2018] Feasibility of greater integration of OpenVDB into Cycles

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Thu Mar 22 17:42:52 CET 2018

Hi Geraldine,

Blender indeed supports OpenVDB as a file format for baking smoke
simulations, but nothing else.

We indeed want to have an OpenVDB backed volume object in Blender. But it's
a big project that touches a lot of areas, and we prefer projects that are
well defined and can be finished within the GSoC timeframe. We shouldn't
have a Blender version that supports volume objects but has no way to
render them. So I think it makes most sense to add Cycles rendering support
first, because it's pretty much a required step in adding a volume object.

Cycles tiled 3D image storage is important to support VDB files properly,
since being able to store sparse volumes is a big feature of OpenVDB. Basic
reading of OpenVDB files into 3D images is a relatively small project.
These projects can potentially be finished much faster than the GSoC
timeframe, it depends on the experience of the student. Starting a Blender
volume object as an optional third step in the remaining time makes sense
to me.

Regards,
Brecht.