[Bf-cycles] GSoC 2018 proposal discussion: hair shader

Lukas Stockner lukas.stockner at freenet.de
Tue Mar 13 17:35:10 CET 2018

One thing that I noticed reading the proposal: You don't actually need
to implement the shader itself twice (in SVM and OSL). Instead, you
implement the BSDF itself (sampling and evaluation functions) once, and
then you add code in SVM and OSL that creates an instance of that
Closure (which typically is a lot easier than actually re-implementing it).

Also, a while ago I started looking into implementing the shader - it's
extremely WIP, messy and somewhat broken, but it might be helpful for
you as a reference as it contains all the code required to implement a
new node/closure and a straightforward port of the PBRT code into
Cycles. I probably won't continue working on this anytime soon (and
certainly not if a GSoC project is also doing the same thing of course),
but you can find the current version here:
https://github.com/lukasstockner/blender/tree/hairshader