[Bf-cycles] GSoC 2018 proposal discussion: hair shader

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Tue Mar 13 16:43:52 CET 2018

The current hair BSDF (kernel/closure/bsdf_hair.h) is based on the
Marschner model and this paper: http://graphics.pixar.com/library/
ImportanceSamplingHair/. Most of the PBRT code would go to a new BSDF in
kernel/closure, and both an SVM and OSL shader can then create this
closure. We need both SVM and OSL shader nodes, but it's probably best to
start with SVM and then implement the OSL shader a bit later in the
planning, once most things are working.

It may be good to have a bit more detail on what you can do once the code
is working, which I hope there will be time for since this is porting an
existing implementation. Running a profiler is fine, but it's also
important to look at things like sampling noise, behavior with point and
area lights, caustics and the filter glossy option, etc. If we can get an
early build users we can also get feedback if the parameters are intuitive
or if there need to be some changes or additions. It's difficult to plan
for this, but some more detail than "Testing and bug fixes" would be good.