[Bf-cycles] Cycles: OpenCL on macOS has been disabled

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 15:14:21 CET 2018

Hi,

There was a growing payload of bugs in Cycles related on OpenCL on macOS
platform, and those issues were caused by a compiler bug, which we have no
control over.

Surely, it is sometimes possible to work compiler bugs around from a
source, but we are facing some of the issues which are not solvable in this
way. Also, such solutions are usually short-living,. since adding more
features are often kicking compiler to provide buggy binary again.

In this case compiler will not get fixed since Apple decided to discontinue
OpenCL on its platform.

So the decision was made to drop support of OpenCL, keep official features
of Blender stable and predictable, and focus on things we have control over.

P.S. Older Blender releases are always available. Surely, this sounds like
using an ancient software without neat features. But we can't push Cycles
OpenCL on macOS measurably beyond that anyway.

--
With best regards, Sergey Sharybin