[Bf-cycles] Summer of Code projects

Geraldine Chua chua.gsk at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 11:34:33 CEST 2018

Hi,

Thank you for the interest in my project! I gave it a rather general title
as I proposed to implement a few different changes to improve volume
rendering in Cycles. Full volume support may be too much to expect from
this summer, but I will try my best to bring us ever closer to that goal.

In particular, I will be working on the following problems:

 - More efficient storage and sampling of volume data
 - Importing of OpenVDB* files into Cycles as images
 - Creation of a dedicated Volume primitive compatible with OpenVDB*

* OpenVDB is a widely used and robust volumes library optimized for storing
and editing volumetric data (http://www.openvdb.org/). Quite a lot of work
has been done in integrating OpenVDB into Cycles already (
https://developer.blender.org/D1308).

I am really interested to see what the Blender community has been doing
with regards to volumetric data! Although I expected to test with basic
volume objects (clouds, fire, etc), if it is not too much trouble for you,
I would really love to have the opportunity to play around with scientific
volume datasets as well. Thank you for the offer!

Best regards,
Geraldine