[Bf-cycles] SceneRenderLayers settings and 2.8

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Wed Nov 15 11:33:10 CET 2017

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 8:10 PM, Dalai Felinto <dfelinto at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think this would be better as a SceneLayer setting, it's common enough
>> that it needs to be convenient I think.
>>>>
>> I agree with the later, not with the former. How about we make adding
> overrides convenient first? If we fail than we roll back (and implement
> material override for Eevee expliclitly as well).

I didn't expect there to be some quick way to replace all the material
slots, but if the plan is to support that in the UI and depsgraph that's
great. There could be some complications in implementing that, I'm not sure.

>>> We might also want to make it smarter in the future so it doesn't
>> override mesh lights.
>>

> For fine-tuning control (override materials for regular meshes but not
> "mesh lights") you then would use collection overrides instead of the
> (scene)layer override.

The smarter system I was thinking of would automatically analyze the nodes
the nodes in the shader. Letting the users manually make collections for
this is useful too, but not quite the same. Anyway, it shouldn't affect the
current design.