[Bf-cycles] SceneRenderLayers settings and 2.8

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 20:10:35 CET 2017

> For material overrides the original setting would still be
>> object.materials[0].material.
>>

> That won't work if the object has multiple materials, or the material is
> assigned to the mesh instead of the object?

​
As per the current Depsgraph this would actually work. ​​Depsgraph will
make sure all objects their material slots and their meshes are referencing
to the "override material".
​

> I think this would be better as a SceneLayer setting, it's common enough
> that it needs to be convenient I think.

​
I agree with the later, not with the former. How about we make adding
overrides convenient first? If we fail than we roll back (and implement
material override for Eevee expliclitly as well).

​

>> We might also want to make it smarter in the future so it doesn't override
> mesh lights.

For fine-tuning control (override materials for regular meshes but not
"mesh lights") you then would use collection overrides instead of the
(scene)layer override.