[Bf-cycles] Optical vignetting by biasing lens sample position and contribution

Lukas Stockner lukas.stockner at freenet.de
Thu Nov 2 05:36:26 CET 2017

Hi!

Your parametrization of the bokeh shape seems pretty good, the only
issue I can see is that certain parameter combinations result in
negative values which shouldn't happen I guess.

But yeah, camera aperture sampling is a pretty good spot for starting,
it's fairly localized and you don't have to consider some of the more
tricky areas of Cycles yet.

In terms of implementation, you'd want to:

- Add the model parameters to intern/cycles/blender/addon/properties.py
and ui.py

- Pass the values through to the kernel (relevant files:
intern/cycles/blender/blender_camera.cpp,
intern/cycles/render/camera.cpp and .h,
intern/cycles/kernel/kernel_types.h).
Two hints here:
1., RNA_float_get accesses the properties you define in Cycles.
2., generally speaking it helps a lot to follow a similar variable
through the code - here, aperture_ratio would be a good example.

- Handle the actual sampling in camera_sample_aperture.

Regarding your pitfalls: If you absolutely need to use rejection
sampling, you can instruct the code to disregard that camera sample by
setting ray->t to zero in the respective camera_sample_... function. For
weighting, you'd indeed want to modify the throughput, so you'd need to
return it all the way to kernel_path_trace.

However, I really don't like the idea of using rejection sampling here -
since the model is analytically integrateable, proper inversion sampling
should be possible. If there's no way to find a analytical inversion, I
guess using some basic approximation and a few iteration of
Newton-Raphson should be easily good enough and still a lot faster than
rejection sampling (especially on GPUs, rejection sampling kills
parallelism). Also, if you sample perfectly you don't need to modify the
throughput of course.

Regarding integration into master: Hard to say for sure, but I think
this is a reasonable feature that doesn't require large-scale
modifications and is unlikely to have any downsides as long as it's
disabled, so I guess they're decent.

As for the process: Patch review is done on
https://developer.blender.org. For your first patch, I'd suggest
creating a local branch, coding the feature, creating a diff based on
it, then uploading that on
https://developer.blender.org/differential/diff/create/. Later, you
could set up Arc to automate that process.

Afaik there's no official document for the code layout, but a basic
guideline is (all paths in intern/cycles/):
- /kernel/: Compute kernels, code here generally is compiled for CPU,
CUDA and OpenCL and runs the actual computations.
- /render/: Host side of Cycles, handles data syncing to the device, the
general rendering process etc.
- /device/: Device abstraction layer, sits between Host and Device Kernels
- /blender/: Blender-specific glue logic, implements the interface
between the Blender Renderer API and the Cycles Host code.
- /util/: Utility functions, used on host and/or device.

Lukas