[Bf-cycles] Cycles Submission guidelines / Extending the math node

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Wed May 3 00:13:20 CEST 2017

Personally I think it's ok to add rounded corners and more math
operations. These normally should not affect performance, generally my
experience is that it's the "biggest" node (using most registers
typically) is the one that limits performance. When this is not the
case we can usually work around it.

We just need to test if patches cause performance regressions, and we
have better infrastructure for that now. It helps if the patch author
can do that testing and fixing themselves.

Mainly my concern with adding new nodes (and features in general) is
code complexity, UI complexity and maintenance. I believe we should
aim to add the most important features first and not randomly add
features whenever someone is interested in implementing them, and end
up with a "lopsided" feature set. So for example for the OSL on SVM
case it's a difficult thing to do maintain from which relatively few
users would benefit, and I'd be inclined not to accept it so we can
focus on more important things. But rounded corners or more math
operations seem fine to me.