[Bf-cycles] progressive updates from a headless CUDA render

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 19:51:20 CET 2017

Hi,

Nathan, progressive and progressive refine are the similar things. First
one acts in the viewport, latter one acts for the final renders. The lower
resolution feature you've mentioned is achieved by resolution divider
option of the tile manager. Progressive supports this resolution divider,
progressive refine does not at this moment but there is nothing really what
could prevent from supporting it internally and just not use for final
renders (at least not for Blender, maybe someone's funky software will
support that).

Mohamed, it is called "progressive" in the Python API of  Blender, but
internally it boils down to Integrator::method. Guess this is a historical
reason here. For 2.8 we can rename python property so it matches internal
naming much better.

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 9:59 PM, Mohamed Sakr <3dsakr at gmail.com> wrote:

> my understanding is totally different..., one of them is for the
> progressive rendering (updating sample by sample instead of buckets), 1 of
> them is for the kernel choice (PT or branched PT)
>
> On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 10:43 PM, Nathan Letwory <nathan at mcneel.com> wrote:
>
>> On 17/03/09 18:46, Sergey Sharybin wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> >  merge
>> > progressive and progressive_refine. Those are same thing, just one for
>> > the interactive render and other is for final render.
>>
>> Are you sure they are the same? My understanding is that progressive
>> means updating render result as they come in. Progressive refine on the
>> other hand is the initial lower-resolution versions rendered before
>> rendering the requested resolution.
>>

>> --
>> Nathan Letwory

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin