[Bf-cycles] Varying number of samples per pixel

Escot Lucas lucas.escot at ens-lyon.fr
Fri Jun 23 13:51:23 CEST 2017

Hello everyone,

I originally asked the following question on the #blendercoders IRC but
was advised to send it here.

_Context_: I am currently working on a modified version of Cycles, in
which the user have control over how light paths behave: they are able
to transport/move rays hitting a specific surface to another one.

Such a modification implies that during the path tracing process, SOME
PATHS/SAMPLES MUST BE DISCARDED (to do that I simply don't add their
contribution to the final image, in kernel_path.h/kernel_path_trace()).

It means some pixels are downsampled since some of their samples might
be discarded, however Cycles still divides for each pixel the total
contribution by _the total number of samples_ which is assumed to be
constant over the entire image.

Hence my question: is there a simple way to make this last operation
(averaging pixel samples) rely on a local number of samples, for each
pixel, rather than a constant amount of samples for the entire image?

I hope this is the right place to ask such a question, and that some of
you will have an answer.

Regards.

--
Lucas Escot