[Bf-cycles] Some suggestions for nodes' interface revision in PBR times

Adriano Oliveira adriano.ufrb at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 01:48:40 CET 2017

> It definitely sounds like output formats are being confused with texture
authoring formats here.

-- Yep.

No matter what, we are missing the point. Today, we have two options for
incoming textures in Blender and the default sRGB is the less used in PBR
workflow. The drop down menu is not ideal for the job, so I think we have a
strong case to review this.

PS: Mr. Troy, I can't thank you enough for Filmic tonemapping. It is my
default.

*Adriano A. Oliveira*
Coordenador do Colegiado do Curso de Cinema e Audiovisual
Universidade Federal do Recôncavo da Bahia (UFRB)
Centro de Artes Humanidades e Letras (CAHL)
Matrícula: 1673892
(71) 99181-0123 [VIVO]

> It definitely sounds like output formats are being confused with texture
> authoring formats here. Mari, Substance, and Quixel all suggest (and in
> some cases even force) a linear -> sRGB workflow.
>
> On Dec 10, 2017 3:18 PM, "Doug Wilkinson" <mrdwilks at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I believe those examples are all output/display based. And I agree these
>> are all becoming more popular.
>>
>> The original post was regarding texture inputs, right? I have not used or
>> heard of anyone using textures in anything but srgb or linear. Even when we
>> have sources with alternative color spaces they are usually ingested into a
>> workflow and linearized or srgb-ified. (Thinking red/arri slog/cineon dpx)
>>
>> Agree with the others that although we output to all kinds of destination
>> color spaces our textures are 100% srgb or linear. This is the way game and
>> vfx lookdev authoring apps work by default as well. (substance, Mari,
>> zbrush)
>>
>> So maybe OP has a point that textures could be handled in a more artist
>> friendly way?  But not taking away from the ability of the scene and the
>> render output to have alternative spaces.
>>

>> On Dec 10, 2017 11:53 AM, "Troy Sobotka" <troy.sobotka at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Welcome to 2017 then.
>>>
>>> Unreal and Unity both use wider primaries for the reference space, and
>>> that doesn't include work beyond games.
>>>
>>> If you are a smaller studio (perhaps Lawson can speak up here?) you have
>>> to deal with *countless* different primaries including Arri's, Red's,
>>> Sony's etc.
>>>
>>> In 2017, mastering to REC.709 based primaries hurts your work for HDR,
>>> as well as well... ignoring the fact that a huge chunk of the mainstream
>>> market dumped REC.709 based displays when you consider that every Apple
>>> device since 2015 isn't REC.709 based.
>>>
>>> With respect,
>>> TJS

Livre