[Bf-cycles] Some suggestions for nodes' interface revision in PBR times

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 20:52:45 CET 2017

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 9:13 AM Matthew Heimlich <matt.heimlich at gmail.com>
wrote:

> In practice, I have never in over a decade seen a texture map in
> production that wasn't either linear or sRGB. And I don't think I've worked
> on or even heard of a colleague that had worked on a production in five
> years or so that hasn't adopted a completely linear workflow. Anecdotal,
> sure, but I would be very interested in hearing of a pipeline that wasn't
> linear or sRGB based in 2017.

Welcome to 2017 then.

Unreal and Unity both use wider primaries for the reference space, and that
doesn't include work beyond games.

If you are a smaller studio (perhaps Lawson can speak up here?) you have to
deal with *countless* different primaries including Arri's, Red's, Sony's
etc.

In 2017, mastering to REC.709 based primaries hurts your work for HDR, as
well as well... ignoring the fact that a huge chunk of the mainstream
market dumped REC.709 based displays when you consider that every Apple
device since 2015 isn't REC.709 based.

With respect,
TJS