[Bf-cycles] OpenVDB rendering prototype

Kévin Dietrich kevin.dietrich at mailoo.org
Sat Oct 29 16:17:57 CEST 2016

Le 2016-10-29 16:01, Gottfried Hofmann a écrit :

> Hello Cycles developers,
>
> someone has created a custom branch with OpenVDB rendering, it is
> available on Github:
>
> https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?407204-Blender-OpenVDB-Integration-Results
>
> Cheers,
> Gottfried

Hi,

This is based on a patch that Lukas Stockner first worked on for level
set rendering, before I took over it and eventually passed it on to
Nathan (who made the branch you linked). It is also based on the openvdb
branch (in Blender) that I worked on. The level set rendering part of
the patch is hackish at best, and I have had a cleaner version for
months, but still has a few hacks. I am (still) a proponent of first
having proper volume object in Blender before considering seriously
implementing OpenVDB level set rendering in Cycles, for obvious reasons
(vulgarly put, level set == surface != volume). For rendering of density
or fog volumes, from smoke simulations, I worked on a better
implementation than that of the openvdb branch, but it still needs to be
finished.

Regards,

Kévin.