[Bf-cycles] Disney BRDF Implementation in Cycles

Pascal Schön pascal_schoen at gmx.net
Wed May 18 09:36:24 CEST 2016

Hey,

Now that the Disney BRDF is committed into a new branch of the Blender git, I’m working on refining it. Currently it is a single node that only OSL can process. But I want it to be like all the other shaders.

Here I’m getting the problem to process it via SVM which seems to be tricky. I think, for this a split version of the BRDF/BSDF would be the best in the following way:

Burley Diffuse: This can be included in the Diffuse BSDF node by adding a new selection to the drop down menu.

Sheen: I would separate this from the default diffuse part into a new node OR also include it in the Diffuse BSDF node as a new selection. Which one would be better?

Subsurface Scattering: Here the default Subsurface Scattering node can be used because it already implements the updated version from Burley.

Disney Specular: This would be a new node because it has the metal and dielectric part which would be hard to get into the Glossy BSDF node (primarily because of the parameter names).

Disney Clearcoat: This would also be a new node.

What do you think? Would this be a better solution. One problem of this is that artists have to create a node group that implements the correct behavior. Is there a way of providing a node group that artists can use?

I hope you have some suggestions on this topic.

Pascal