[Bf-cycles] Questions about CUDA and OpenCL images

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Fri May 13 21:42:19 CEST 2016

Hi,
I started to look into GPU textures as part of my GSoC. Some open
questions / issues:

1) For CUDA Bindless textures, I need to create an array of type
"cudaTextureObject_t".

I cannot find that inside of CUEW, am I missing something? The
additional data types for cudaCreateTextureObject() are available
(CUDA_RESOURCE_DESC and CUDA_TEXTURE_DESC) though.

2) In all the examples I find online, people pass "cudaTextureObject_t"
directly into the kernel. Can we do that differently? (e.g. via kg?).
Otherwise I have to pass around the tex array through the entire path
tracing kernel?

3) I also started to look into OpenCL Texture arrays, same question as
2) basically here. If thats also solvable, I might give this a try too.
The current texture packing is not optimal performance wise, and we
could reduce code a bit, if we don't handle OpenCL differently.

Best regards,
Thomas