[Bf-cycles] XML API proposal - objects and mesh instances

Stefan Werner swerner at smithmicro.com
Wed Mar 23 11:37:57 CET 2016

For what it’s worth, we’re extending and upgrading the XML API for use in Poser. Our main use case however is to dump existing ccl::Scene data structures to XML and read them back, not writing XML directly. Basically, we set up a Scene like usual, then instead of running a render session, we just wrote to XML.

Breaking compatibility was necessary to support a single Mesh to use per-polygon materials – that is not possible in the current XML API. We also added a binary format for Mesh structures, as with large meshes, the XML files themselves and the read/write times can become cumbersome.

If there is any interest, we’re happy to share our results.

Stefan Werner  |  Senior Software Engineer; Productivity & Graphics
Smith Micro Software, Inc.  |  http://www.smithmicro.com<http://www.smithmicro.com/>