[Bf-cycles] Can the AO pass's sky color be changed to white?

gandalf3 zzyxpaw at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 02:34:41 CEST 2016

I've found it rather awkward to composite the AO pass back onto a
render, due to the black sky.
AFAIK without transparent film enabled, there's no reasonable way to
accomplish this without additional renderlayers.

Even with transparent film, it's not really convenient; when there are
partially transparent objects in front of the sky the environment pass
partially occluded, making it useless for alpha-overing with a
AO-multiplied render. The best I've come up with is using the alpha
channel to give the AO pass a white sky manually, but this is prone to
an outline around the transition and requires fudging.

Usually I end up using some workaround involving an extra empty
renderlayer just for the sky, but even then some fudging is required to
avoid a slight outline artifact around the transition from surface to sky.

If the AO pass rendered the sky as white, then it could simply be
multiplied on top of a render.
Am I missing something? Is there some purpose to having a black sky?

With 2.8 coming up and the possibility of backwards-compatibility
breakage, is it possible the AO pass's sky color could be changed to white?