[Bf-cycles] Need testers for the Disney BSDF implementation

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Sun Jul 24 15:29:21 CEST 2016

Hi Pascal,

I haven't found the time yet to look deeply into this. Some general
questions for now:

* There seems to be quite a bit of code duplication between the
microfacet BSDFs, any plans to solve avoid that?
* With a separate refraction roughness, it might be difficult to fit
in multiple scattering GGX eventually? In general a different
refraction and reflection roughness seems like it's difficult to make
energy conserving. Why doesn't a sharp clearcloat with a rough
reflection/refraction layer below work for your case?
* Maybe the thing you're really trying to approximate with that
refraction roughness is some forward scattering medium? We would need
some brute force subsurface scattering implementation to handle that
properly I guess.
* Any ideas in general about using the multiple scattering GGX for the
Disney BSDF? As I understand it sheen exists partly to compensate for
the energy loss that we can now properly solve, though it is also used
for cloth shaders so probably we would keep it regardless.

Thanks,
Brecht.