[Bf-cycles] Monte Carlo variance denoising

Jean-Marie Aubry jmma.aubry at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 09:57:06 CET 2016

Hi there,

This denoising technique is most likely based on the papers by Rousselle et
al., for instance *Robust Denoising using Feature and Color Information*
(Pacific Graphics 2013). It works quite well (I have work on an
implementation that is not Innobright's). It doesn't have to be tied to any
specific renderer, just needs the beauty image do be denoised, some feature
aovs and an estimation of their variance. So, imho it could be made into a
node independent from the renderer.

JM

On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 at 18:21 x3108 at chello.at <x3108 at chello.at> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i stumbled across IMO a great technique to denoise trough MC variance. It
> is pretty simple. Its from Innobright.
> Now i don’t know the legalities, but it looks pretty simple, some AOVs and
> a MC variance filter. Could be implemented in GPL ?
> Also would this be only a node necessarily (still cool) or could this be a
> renderer feature (more elegant) getting it straight of the renderer ? Lets
> say, shooting 2x 128samples and variance filter them in GPU RAM without
> saving 2 images. Like i see it, it is pretty powerful.
> Your thoughts on this guys?
>
> Many thanks,
> enilnacs

Jean-Marie Aubry

Please consider encrypting your emails using GPG (http://gnupg.org/)
My current public key can be found here:
http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xBA1DD06C03E0678C