[Bf-cycles] BPT Caustic Samples?

Mohamed Sakr 3dsakr at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 18:33:16 CEST 2016

I know what do you mean, you want a sampling for caustics only, let's see
how caustics are created:
ray emit from the camera, hit a diffuse surface, bounce to a
glossy/refraction surface (with low roughness), hit the light.
so to get a better caustics you will need to increase diffuse samples.

but on the material side, you can catch indirect caustics, but using is
singular ray and is glossy/refraction rays for low roughness shaders.

to catch direct caustics, you will need first bounce to be "is diffuse
ray?" when your actual shader is a glossy/refraction material.
to reduce caustic noise you will need to increase roughness of your
glossy/refraction shader after the diffuse ray. (this will allow to catch
more light paths).
hope I didn't mess anything, if I mentioned anything wrong others may
correct, thanks.