[Bf-cycles] Layer Manager - Overlaps with Render Passes

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Sat Apr 30 01:25:59 CEST 2016

Cycles does use layer bitmasks all the way into BVH traversal in the
kernel, which will no longer be possible with an unlimited number of
layers. This was mainly an optimization to be able to only export the
scene once for all render layers. I believe we can get rid of layer
bitmasks in Cycles without too much impact.

Blender Internal relies on layer bitmasks more deeply, but so does a
lot of Blender and I guess you will have some general solution for it.
(If you even plan to update Blender Internal.)