[Bf-cycles] Remove old Sky Model

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Fri Apr 15 20:42:54 CEST 2016

Hi Nathan,

I agree, we should communicate feature removal clearly and in advance,
and also reflect that in the version number of Cycles. I am fine with
that! :) The Sky model removal was rushed from my end, lesson learned.

My point is, that I don't want to start a policy of removing something
from Blenders UI, but keep the code in Cycles.
Either we remove something altogether, or we keep it. Again, if properly
communicated, that should be fine.

That being said, I think if we want to change some bigger things and
remove stuff, now would be a good time for it. Rhino hasn't been
released yet with Cycles officially, correct? So changing stuff now
wouldn't hurt much. Once released, I am sure you will feel even stronger
about these things.

We are very happy to see Cycles in other programs, we hoped for that
when we relicensed it. That is cool.
The standalone git repository, the version numbering..., we introduced
these for external projects. Nevertheless, all active Cycles developers
come from the Blender side, so that should be our focus. I still hope
that this will change though, and we'll get more contributions from
Poser and Rhino ;)

Best regards,
Thomas