[Bf-cycles] still memory problem with cuLaunch on GTX780Ti 3GB with empty scene

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 12:09:14 CEST 2015

Answering where the memory is mainly coming from -- it's coming from
stack memory, which is then being multiplied by the number of threads
of your GPU. It includes both ShaderData structures mentioned above,
but it also includes all those stack variables coming from the
function calls.

Some simplier approaches like feature-aware compilation (like we do
with OpenCL kernels for AMD) with latest CUDA could give some benefits
here, but the only real solution is to finish the split kernel patch
which AMD started a while ago. It shouldn't be THAT hard but some
aspects are to be reconsidered before jumping into there.

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin