[Bf-cycles] still memory problem with cuLaunch on GTX780Ti 3GB with empty scene

Piotr Arlukowicz piotao at polskikursblendera.pl
Tue Sep 15 17:09:08 CEST 2015

Hey

something is definitely not right with cycles or with my system, because of
the old and known memory problem with cuLaunch.
The exact error is:
CUDA error: Out of memory in
cuLaunchKernel(cuPathTrace,xblocks,yblocks,1,xthreads,ythreads,1,0,0,args,0)
Peak mem shown by blender is 70.98M during rendering.

Works: GPU compute with supported mode
Fails: GPU compute with experimental mode
System: Mint 17.1,
Blender hash dbe1829...
GPU: GTX780Ti, ram 3070M

please help!

I've read stackexchange explanations about memory problems and this seems
to be not the case (?) here, because I have at least half of memory
unoccupied...

Here is nvidia-smi test while blender IS rendering a scene in supported
mode.

|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr.
ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute
M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  GeForce GTX 780 Ti  Off  | 0000:02:00.0     N/A |
N/A |
| 50%   67C    P0    N/A /  N/A |   1459MiB /  3070MiB |     N/A
Default |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

I know that I'm using desktop enviroment, but honestly, there is only half
of ram on that card occupied. This problem is the same since several
revisions and I'm slowly made myself upset that I can't use the hardware.
3GiB of ram, honestly, SHOULD be enough for an empty scene!

What I'm doing wrong?
please help or at least say something...

pio

​Piotr
​ Arlukowicz, BFCT​

​*YT: /user/piotao?feature=guide*