[Bf-cycles] Should the Glass Node only colorize the refractive part?

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Wed May 13 20:48:46 CEST 2015

Current glass shader is a mixture between glossy reflection and refraction
(with a bit of trickery for caustics) and they're shading the color.
Technically it's possible to either use write color for reflections (which
will break lots of files) or decouple the color (which will make it more
ubershader-like which doesn't sound nice to me).

Another issue with the glass shader (which Brecht is already covered) is
that it's not real representation of colored glass. Using volume absorption
will give more realistic results. Plus it'll also let you to control amount
of the paint mixed into the glass.

So all in all i think it's more about finding developer resources to work
on nice material templates library, which will roughly speaking drop node
groups into the shader and those groups will implement more proper glass,
plastic skin etc.

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 9:30 PM, Gottfried Hofmann <
gottfried at blenderdiplom.com> wrote:

> On 05/13/2015 06:11 PM, Brecht Van Lommel wrote:
> > Volume rendering might sound slow, but for this specific case it's
> > actually really fast and most likely the behavior that you want.
>
> Yeah, this is definitely the best and most realistic way to get colored
> glass (unless it's been painted on like my storm lamps on the balcony).
>
> The reason why I bring this issue up is:
>
> a) Newbies might create glass/plastic/liquid that shows non-realistic
> behavior.
>
> b) I noticed that the glass shader is misleading even to experienced
> users because it is called glass but does not act like glass.
>
> c) I ran into this issue when doing work for a client and switched to
> the method you mentioned because of that. The problem with absorption is
> that you will never get the color you enter in the color input because
> absorption is doing a "gamma correction" on each channel which means a
> lot of tweaking is required if you want a certain color for your object
>
> > On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 4:47 PM, Zauber Paracelsus <zauber at gridmail.org>
> wrote:
> >> AFAIK, the glass node is used for more than just glass,
>
> Plastic and colored water also don't colorize reflections...
>
> Cheers,
> Gottfried
>
> --
> --