[Bf-cycles] Spatial Splits

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 14:22:54 CEST 2015

Hi,

The answer is: yes, it's still needed to have this option. And in fact, we
need to make spatial split BVH builder threaded and enable it by default.

But it's also true this option does not speed up all the scenes. it only
helps when you've got rather huge faces next to much smaller one, by
splitting the node and making it so BVH traversal checks as less primitives
as possible.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 5:03 PM, David Black <db4tech at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>  Good afternoon Sergey and Thomas,
>
> Apologies if this is a daft question, do we still need to include the 'Use
> Spatial Splits' render option?
>
> During Cycles early development it helped improve render performance, now
> Cycles has matured and received numerous optimisations using spatial splits
> mostly seems detrimental to performance.
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> David

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin