[Bf-cycles] Defining an official cycles file format

Dan Eicher dan at eu.phorio.us
Tue Jul 21 14:54:44 CEST 2015

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 5:33 AM, Levon <levonh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ive been writing down some ideas regarding the Cycles XML format.
>
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Levon/cycles_standalone_format
>
> listing some comparisons between other render engines, and also possible
> alternative language's.
>
> I started looking at integrating Cycles into some other 3D Software, and
> one thing holding me back is not wanting to invest too much time into
> writing out to the current cycles XML that may not stay.
>
> While a good Cycles render API would be a great feature, I.m working on
> defining the .xml (or what ever it becomes) format.
>
> Ild like to hear some feedback and ideas from other devs and users.
>
> Im prepared to code it, with input from others.
>
> Thanks :)

A couple weeks ago I wrote up an xml schema for cycles by looking through
the parsing code and example files (http://www.pasteall.org/59743/xml),
it's still a little rough but could be used as a starting point to design a
moar better cycles API.

A couple things I'd like to change -- get rid of the 'stack machine'
concept (have transforms and 'state' (which is mostly just a wrapper for
materials) become elements of the effected type) and a couple other little
redesign things centered around the 'Mesh' and 'Patch' types to make them
more inline with the built in cycles Object type.

Dan