[Bf-cycles] State of cycles baking

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 18:35:16 CEST 2015

Hi Vilem,

> - Not optimal memory usage. AFAIR Dalai was doing some work in there, not sure if he committed all the changes he was planning to do, would prefer to hear from him here. But optimizing something further is always possible.

All the memory optimizations were already merged back in April
(394c5318). They make a world of difference already. If this is not
enough all I can think of is for you to adjust the tiles size
according to your system and see if you get a working setup.

That said, it's really hard to handle bugs if you can't reproduce the
issue. The crashes can be happening in the pre-processing phase, in
Cycles, or in the post-processing. Each one would require a different
investigation.

One optimization I would like to see implemented at some point is
multithreading in the pre-processing stage. But that will only affect
performance, not memory usage.

###########

As for the Cycles Baking bugs those are the ones I'm aware of:

https://developer.blender.org/T43553 (dupli groups)

https://developer.blender.org/T42015 (boolean modifier)

https://developer.blender.org/T43388 (concave faces when enabling AA jittering)

https://developer.blender.org/T45232 (transparent textures)

And as you know, the only one I'm actively pursuing at the moment is
the dupligroups one. More developers are welcome to join the effort.
But I'm afraid there are no concrete plans of prioritizing this.

Regards,
Dalai
--
blendernetwork.org/dalai-felinto