[Bf-cycles] "Is SSS ray" output and ray visibility

Greg Zaal gregzzmail at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 14:51:13 CET 2015

Hey folks :)

Is it possible to have a Ray Visibility switch for SSS, and possibly an "Is
SSS ray" output for the light path node too? Or possibly just combine it
with the Diffuse ray.

Why would this help?

   - At the moment it's impossible to have a light that only influences
   glossy rays - artists sometimes like to control their specular highlights
   separately (e.g. make them more prominent in the eyes) without affecting
   the rest of the lighting. If you have no SSS shaders, you can just disable
   everything except glossy in the Ray Visibility panel - but if you do have
   some SSS, it is doomed to be lit as well.
   See here: http://i.imgur.com/n2bNWvp.png - one red light underneath that
   influences everything, and one blue light above that's only supposed to
   influence glossy (sphere materials left to right: diffuse, glossy, glass,
   SSS)
   - I wrote a light manager add-on that is able to "turn off" the World
   lighting temporarily by disabling all the Ray Visibility switches. Sure
   this is a hacky solution, but it's more reliable than fiddling with the
   nodes.

So yeah - is this even possible? And if so, who I do I have to buy beer for
to make it happen? :)

Cheers,
Greg