[Bf-cycles] Energy Conservation - Where is it OK to use the Add Shader?

- LEON - leon4you at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 11:04:24 CET 2015

I recalled Brecht mentioned something about this some time ago. Allow me to
quote here:

"Generally you'll want to use the Mix Shader to combine BSDF, Subsurface
Scattering and Holdout nodes. For Emission and Background nodes Add Shader
is ok."
"For translucent BSDFs you still want to mix. A photon that hits a surface
can either reflect or transmit, not both."
"Add Shader does not clip colors. Cycles will output unclipped float colors
to the compositor and EXR files."

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 5:45 PM, Andreu Cabré <andreucabre at gmail.com> wrote:

> In my limited experience, one case where it's ok is when you are adding
> different color glass shaders that together add up to white, specifically
> to fake color dispersion in glass. It might be too obvious, tho.
>
> Regards,
> Andreu Cabré
>
> My blogs:
> www.andreucabre.com
> divagacionspoemesiraps.blogspot.com
> anglespercatalans.blogspot.com
>

> > On Feb 27, 2015, at 10:01 PM, Greg Zaal <gregzzmail at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > As the subject says, where can the Add Shader be used without breaking
> energy conservation?
> >
> > I know it can definitely be used to add Volume Scatter and Absorption
> (to color the volume correctly), but where else?
> >
> > I also suspect it's OK to add a translucency shader to things, since
> that only results in light from the back of faces (and a tiny bit on the
> front face if bounces > 0, which is just light from the back face passing
> through again), but I'm not completely sure.
> >
> > The Hair shader has a Reflection and Transmission component - are these
> intended to be added or mixed together?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Greg

Leon Cheung