[Bf-cycles] New to Blender development, looking for some guidance

Justin Osial justin.osial at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 18:47:26 CET 2015

Hi everyone. I'm Justin and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm interested
in contributing to Blender (specifically the Cycles engine) and would like
some pointers on where to get started. I already have a strong background
in C++ and computer graphics (photorealistic rendering techniques in
particular a la PBRT by Pharr and Humphreys but I'm interested in all
areas).

I've read as much as I can on the developer page and I'm at the point where
I can build from source. I've mostly been setting breakpoints and stepping
through the code during test renderings. I'm starting to get a good feel
for how everything works but there's still a lot of ground to cover. The
RNA/DNA system and the shader virtual machine are still pretty confusing
but I'm not at the point where I feel confident making modifications but
could anyone recommend some low hanging fruit to work on like
documentation, minor bugs, etc?

And for specific questions about different functionality is it best to post
on the mailing list or use IRC?

Thanks!

Justin Osial