[Bf-cycles] Houdini export to Cyles

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 16:05:21 CET 2015

OpenCL is only enabled by default for AMD cards. In order to force enable
it for your platform you can set CYCLES_OPENCL_TEST environment variable to
'all'. You can also use CYCLES_OPENCL_SPLIT_KERNEL_TEST=1 to test split
kernel work.

For NVidia cards OpenCL will not be any faster tho, but much slower instead.

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 8:00 PM, Mohamed Sakr <3dsakr at gmail.com> wrote:

> are you sure that tile size is correct? if tile size is 16 or 32, CPU will
> be faster than GPU, make tile size 256 x 256 for CUDA
>
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 12:47 PM, Guillaume Rouault <
> guillaume.rouault.fx at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> oups, I should have tested it on the same scene ... actually it's not
>> that fast at all ... I have a core i7-2600k 3.40GHz , and it computes with
>> cycles somewhere around 30% faster than my Nvidia GTX 580. I don't know
>> if that is normal. Are there some benchmarks somewhere ?
>>
>> It makes me think about another thing I don't understand :
>> Is it an "either or" situation with Cuda and OpenCL ? (i.e when typing
>>     cycles.exe --help
>> devides listed are :
>> -cpu
>> -opencl
>> -multi
>> yet, on my system listed devices are:
>> -cpu
>> -cuda
>>
>> How do I get access to openCL capabilities ?
>> And could it be faster than Cuda ?
>>
>> Guillaume
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 12:23 PM, Guillaume Rouault <
>> guillaume.rouault.fx at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you so much Nathan
>>> I copy all the .cubin files in a lib directory along cycles.exe , ( I
>>> wouldn't have guessed it in a million years :) ) and it works nicely. I
>>> have a pretty "crappy" GTX 580, and it's already pretty fast.
>>>
>>> thanks again
>>>
>>> Guillaume
>>>
>>> On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 11:57 AM, Nathan Letwory <nathan at mcneel.com>
>>> wrote: