[Bf-cycles] Micropolygon Displacement in Cycles

Paul Geraskin paulgeraskin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 20:27:39 CEST 2015

Hi.

Houdini Mantra engine has Micropoligon rendering.
Also, Pixar's RenderMan has Micropoligon rendering too.

Micropoligon rendering has big performance against Raytrace.
I use Micropoligon rendering for fur and smoke mostly as it makes smooth
quality and it's faster about 5-7 times.

Here is simple example of rendered smoke with raytrace and micropoligon:
http://i.imgur.com/r5lc1W8.png
http://i.imgur.com/VXff9Xx.png
Micropoligon is super fast and good quality.

Also, Micropoligon renders super fast non reflected surfaces.
Here some info of houdini micropoligon:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=15315&view=next&sid=4b16c0c230e682e63e1c6e4d2f7e789a
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini14.0/render/understanding

Also, you can check Pixar's micropoligon info.

On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 7:05 PM, Sergey Sharybin <sergey.vfx at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We actually had a brief discussion in IRC a while ago. To summarize:
>
> - There was a discussion in the list a while ago:
> http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-cycles/2014-January/001744.html
> which basically concludes choosing approach for micropolygon displacement
> should be done with care
> - There's a patch from Main in the tracker which optimizes memory storage
> for subdivided meshes which i'll try to review in next few days
> https://developer.blender.org/D1242
>

> On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 8:46 PM, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Mai,
>>
>> Sorry for not getting any reaction sooner. People are busy I guess :
>> Could you be a bit more precise, and explain in more detail how you want
>> this to work?
>>
>> Or, show a paper or some images on a website.
>>
>> -Ton-

>> Ton Roosendaal  -  ton at blender.org   -   www.blender.org
>> Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute
>> Entrepotdok 57A  -  1018AD Amsterdam  -  The Netherlands
>>

>> On 29 Mar, 2015, at 21:38, Mai wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I had a nice conversation earlier in irc with Marco G, who suggested I
>> ask here. I'm very interested in helping out with getting micropolygon
>> displacement working in Cycles. What are the current plans for this and
>> what could I do to help? I've been poking around a bit at the code but
>> don't want to get too involved without asking about it first.
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> > Mai Lavelle
>>

> --
> With best regards, Sergey Sharybin