[Bf-cycles] ray depth

Gottfried Hofmann gottfried at blenderdiplom.com
Mon Oct 6 11:39:06 CEST 2014

On 10/06/2014 03:23 AM, David Fenner wrote:
> As you can see, the real gain comes with deactivating the global bounce,
> even when there is only one light and one diffuse shader for all
> geometry. Deactivating the bounce in the light should be the same as
> deactivating it globally, since there is only one light. Maybe I'm doing
> something wrong here.... pics have shader tree.

It is not the same. Deactivating it globally will make light not bounce
anymore after the first intersection.
Setting the bounces to 1 will allow one GI bounce. Only when that bounce
hits the light, the BSDF will not be evaluated. So you get a small
speedup (which you correctly measured), but there are still all the
other rays that have bounced and make their way through the scene that
won't reach the light at all, like all the bounces towards the background.

Cheers,
Gottfried

Gottfried Hofmann
Blender Foundation Certified Trainer