[Bf-cycles] Issue with rendering using GPU's

Gottfried Hofmann gottfried at blenderdiplom.com
Wed Nov 19 17:37:16 CET 2014

Try to render the scene with Blender 2.69, there is a chance that the
error will not appear with the older version.

On 11/19/2014 05:26 PM, Sergey Sharybin wrote:
> My first suggestion would be to check GPU memory usage.

He is trying to run a scene that renders fine one a card with 2GB on a
card with 6 GB and runs out of memory. I got the same problem here:

In Blender 2.71 and 2.72, rendering a scene that renders fine on my 2 GB
730M runs out of memory on my 3 GB 580 GTX. Rendering the scene on 2.69
is usually the solution. There seem to be big issues with Fermi based
cards in recent releases :(

Cheers,
Gottfried Hofmann

> [...]
> attachments, so do you mind re-uploading it somewhere (like, pasteall)
> and giving a link here?
>
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 5:19 PM, Josh Cullum <josh.cullum at cfms.org.uk
> <mailto:josh.cullum at cfms.org.uk>> wrote:
>
>     Ahh Sorry all, Will do in future Dan.
>
>     Kind Regards,
>
>     Josh Cullum
>
>     On 19 November 2014 16:18, Dan McGrath <danmcgrath.ca at gmail.com
>     <mailto:danmcgrath.ca at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         Hi Josh,
>
>         Oops, it looks like you sent a very large email to the list. For
>         future reference, please use pasteall.org <http://pasteall.org>
>         to post large blender files and use a link in the email instead
>         of attaching it to the email itself.
>
>         And apologies to the rest of the list for such a large email!
>

>         Dan
>
>         On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Josh Cullum
>         <josh.cullum at cfms.org.uk <mailto:josh.cullum at cfms.org.uk>> wrote:
>
>             Hi There,
>
>             I have an issue with a particular scene that has been
>             created on another PC (Windows 7, Nvidia GTX660) and sent to
>             me to render using a HPC GPU node ( RHEL 6.4, 2x Nvidia
>             Tesla M2070). We are seeing an error within blender when
>             trying to render this specific scene on the HPC GPU node
>             using Cycles render, *CUDA error: Invalid value in
>             cuTexRefSetAddress(NULL, texref,
>             cuda_device_ptr(mem.device_poi**nter), size)* which bombs
>             out the render as soon as the BVH mesh has been calculated.
>             The settings are 1000 samples @ 2160x3064 with 256x256
>             tiles, the .blend file is attached (zipped)
>
>             However, we seem to be able to render in 4K @ 1000 samples
>             with 256x256 tiles, Mike Pans BMW test case without any
>             issues, as well as the latest test case, the
>             cycles_bench_272.blend using the GPU's and having no issues
>             at all.
>
>             The version we are running on the GPU machine is Blender
>             2.72b, with the latest Nvidia drivers 340.58.
>
>             Kind Regards,
>
>             Josh Cullum
>
>             --
>             *Josh Cullum* // IT Systems Administrator
>
>             *e: _josh.cullum at cfms.org.uk
>             <mailto:josh.cullum at cfms.org.uk>_* // *t: *0117 906 1106 //
>             *w: *www.cfms.org.uk <http://www.cfms.org.uk%22/> //
>             Linkedin grey icon scaled
>             <https://www.linkedin.com/pub/josh-cullum/35/b90/8b9>
>             CFMS Services Ltd // Bristol & Bath Science Park // Dirac
>             Crescent // Emersons Green // Bristol // BS16 7FR
>
>             4.2 CFMS_Artwork_RGB <http://www.cfms.org.uk/>

>     --
>     *Josh Cullum* // IT Systems Administrator
>
>     *e: _josh.cullum at cfms.org.uk <mailto:josh.cullum at cfms.org.uk>_* //
>     *t: *0117 906 1106 // *w: *www.cfms.org.uk
>     <http://www.cfms.org.uk%22/> // Linkedin grey icon scaled
>     <https://www.linkedin.com/pub/josh-cullum/35/b90/8b9>
>     CFMS Services Ltd // Bristol & Bath Science Park // Dirac Crescent
>     // Emersons Green // Bristol // BS16 7FR

Gottfried Hofmann
Blender Foundation Certified Trainer
www.BlenderDiplom.com