[Bf-cycles] Feature: Per-Object or Per-Material Samples?

Zauber Paracelsus zauberexonar at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 21:20:04 CET 2014

Okay, I'm not familiar with blender's internals, so I don't know if this
idea is viable or not.  But one thing I've found with Branched PT is
that although it is very good at targeting noise sources, sometimes it
isn't enough, or it does too much where it isn't needed.

One thing I've found myself desiring is the ability to boost the sample
count for either (A) specific objects or (B) specific shaders.

For example:
1) I may have many glossy objects, but only one of them is producing a
lot of noise. Simply ramping up the glossy samples will make all glossy
objects take up more render time.  However, if you could set a sample
count for that particular object, then
2) Particularly small or thin objects (such as hair) may need a great
number of samples in order to get rid of noise.  Being able to increase
the sample count for the hair itself either via the emitter or the hair
shader would be very useful in this case.

So, any thoughts or suggestions?  Again, I don't know the internals of
blender or cycles, so I don't know if this is a viable option.