[Bf-cycles] Cycles standalone repository

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 11:18:40 CET 2014

Yes, think having a branch in git.b.o/cycles.git is better.

As for the submodule -- that's really a bummer because you can't use an
external repo folder as the submodule. Because basically we only need
cycles.git/src to be hooked into  intern/cycles. So the downsides of the
submodule:

- We'll have examples, standalone CMake file which we'll be basically
skipping, third party libs folder from cycles repo in cycles working tree.
That adds some unwanted crowdness to the sources tree.
- It'll ruing everyone's patches they made so far for cycles.

Ideas about how to improve stuff in the future:

- have a branch in cycles.git which would only have src/ folder, which is
easy to do originally with `git subtree split`, after that checrry-picking
between branches in cycles.git should be rather fine. A bit dirty approach,
yeah..
- We can agree on having some duplicated libs in the working tree (such as
cuew, clew) and which are ignored. Plus agree on breaking xisting patches
to blender and use cycles as a submodule.
- Think of something else?

For now i think having a sync script is good enough. have least affect on
everyone's exiting workflow, saving some time for gooseberry development as
well :)