[Bf-cycles] Cycles standalone repository

Nathan Letwory nathan at mcneel.com
Mon Nov 17 09:16:31 CET 2014

Hi,

This is a great development. I haven't been active on this list before
(shame on me), but let me start by saying that this looks to be a
quite good start from my point of view.

I have been working on a project called C[CS]?ycles [1] since May
2014. This project is to create a C API and a C# API utilising that C
API. Until now I've tried to keep my project updated manually. This
works, but is far from ideal, and takes a lot of time. So for one I'm
happy with this development.

For my usage I don't care much for CMake - I have manually crafted
solution and project files, mostly because my project is part of a
larger effort to integrate Cycles into Rhinoceros 3D, the project is
currently going by the name RhinoCycles (and will be released as open
source, most likely under Apache 2 License).

Apart from the solution and project files, the biggest patch I have
for Cycles is to not compile with the bulk of OpenImageIO - only
utility functions are used. Further Cycles is being used pretty much
as is.

I think that on longer term it would be best to have Cycles.git be a
submodule in Blender.git, where master would be more or less what
already currently master is, a standalone branch that'd be the master
for the standalone repo so that it stays easy for developers to get
and work from just that. This will simplify keeping Cycles.git
standalone a great deal.

I think that for now my workflow will be something like this:

* create fork of Cycles.git on github
* create a branch ccsycles on the fork
* make jesterKing/Cycles branch ccsycles a submodule for
jesterKing/CCSycles

Then periodically sync jesterKing/Cycles with upstream, and ensure
Cycles submodule CCSycles is correct as well. I'm not yet clear on how
to submit patches for Cycles, so any thoughts on above work flow and
submitting patches are more than welcome.

/Nathan Letwory
RhinoCycles
Developer at Robert McNeel & Associates

[1] https://github.com/jesterKing/CCSycles