[Bf-cycles] Interactive GI filtering paper / Siggraph 2014

Marco G digitalbath86 at hotmail.com
Sat May 10 20:30:14 CEST 2014

Ah well i thought this one was a lot better than other similar or offline methods.Regarding such approximations (irradiance caching) i tried to involve a couple of guys in the past months but without success yet.
Approximations aside, the upcoming Siggraph seems will have a nice focus onmore advanced light transport, focusing on usability from the VFX and Architecture side too, and indeed such approximation seems are going to disappear in some way,or at least progressively abandoned...according to these slides path tracing is the most usedbut it seems industry proven renderers are considering/investigating more recent and advanced methods too. (see next link) **In part it's a matter of "breaking" artists workflows again, and the good visual feedback unidirectional PT provides.
Perhaps simple path tracing will be replaced by some BiDir derivate, how you see this trend?There will be a course held by Pixar, Fajardo, the Corona render guy, Nvidia, Next Limit...** http://www.iliyan.com/publications/Siggraph2014Course** Syllabus

One of the guy behind Vertex Connection and Merging is currently working at Solid Angle,and VCM is going to hit Renderman 19 too (and already integrated in Vray and Corona, see link, last sildes)http://cgg.mff.cuni.cz/~jaroslav/papers/2014-ltstutorial/04%20-%20ltstutorial%20-%20ppm+bpt%20-%20georgiev%20-%20notes.pdf

By the way, a first implementation of VCM on GPU has appeared, and this link in particular also focus on making difficult light transport algorithms more efficient on GPUs.http://cgg.mff.cuni.cz/~jaroslav/papers/2014-gpult/index.htm

Lastly, found this one which improve BiDir dramatically according to the examples, but still unreleased.http://cgg.mff.cuni.cz/~jaroslav/papers/2014-onlineis/index.htm

So to conclude, BiDir or some of its evolution will be the next state-of-the-art approach?How feasible will be for Cycles to switch to BiDir in the future, if it will be proven to be the best choice? (given enough man-power)
Regards, MG