[Bf-cycles] A couple of interesting BVH traversal papers

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Fri Mar 28 23:44:18 CET 2014

Thanks for the links.

The stackless BVH doesn't seem so interesting at the moment, because
it's slower on both the CPU and GPU. Maybe it's more for raytracing
hardware.

The other paper shows about 20% faster raytracing for first bounce
rays, which is neat and it's interesting that it apparently makes this
kind of batching / ray ordering method consistently faster, whereas
previously it was more hit and miss. I wouldn't call it an order of
magnitude faster though, unless I'm missing something.

Brecht.