[Bf-cycles] Optimization project

Thomas Beck software at plasmasolutions.de
Tue Mar 25 09:22:44 CET 2014

Hi Daniel,

As asked by Brecht I'm creating a webpage where we could track down the
speed improvements. I will use your Caterpillar shot slightly changed
(resolution wise) so it doesn't last too long. Will be ready in a week (am
travelling atm) and will show CPU and GPU graphs for different official
Blender versions and dev versions.

Many greetings, Thomas

>:

> Created this document, editable by anyone so we can keep track of
> optimizations and best hardware to use Cycles in :D
>

> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq7Ge85fFdh3dGFOcy0yQklaYlhxVXNCMWVMMnlJVEE#gid=0
> Daniel Salazar
> patazstudio.com
>

> On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 11:40 PM, Daniel Salazar - patazstudio.com
> <zanqdo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Coders! Dingto, Brecht, Lockal et al.
> >
> > After finishing our small part of the Gooseberry teaser I can
> > certainly say it has been our most resource and time expensive work
> > yet (considering it's only 87 frames).
> >

> https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B67Ge85fFdh3aW1FY2N5SUI0UXc
> >
> > The rendertime went up to 3.5h in CPU mode using an AMD FX-8350
> > Octocore and about 2.5h - 3h on a GeForce 480GTX SC depending on
> > screen coverage of the character (both where running at the same time
> > so this might not be a super accurate time)
> >
> > The heavy rendertime came mostly from the use of SSS in both the
> > caterpillar, and to a lesser extent the twig. At 2048 s/p the noise
> > was still noticeable on the character's body when animated so we ended
> > up pulling 3072 s/p. At this quality I can not see any noise even in
> > the original PNGs :)
> >
> > I'm offering this complete scene as a production test file for
> > hopefully improving the rendering speed of Cycles. It is definitely
> > not a light scene, using up to 4 GI bounces, SSS and hair; on the
> > other hand, it is only 1 character in an outdoors lighting set with no
> > physical environment so I would think it's just a taste of the
> > requirements of a real gooseberry shot :D
> >

> https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B67Ge85fFdh3enYwTEp2bG9zSlk
> >
> > So pick your favorite frame, grab a cup of coffee and hit F12!
> >
> > kind regards,
> >
> > Daniel Salazar
> > patazstudio.com

------