[Bf-cycles] [GSoC2014] Introduction and some questions regarding an idea concerning cycles.

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Tue Mar 18 20:31:36 CET 2014

Hi,

See this page for details on the status and ideas to improve it:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.6/Source/Render/Cycles/Network_Render

Defining the exact targets is up to you.

Regarding reinventing the wheel, this has a different purpose than render
farms, see the wiki page.

I'm not familiar with them MPI or cluster software. It could work, someone
would need to check if it fits all the requirements. As far as I know other
renderers like Lux or Mitsuba do not use it so it would be good to
understand why.

The main thing for this is that it should be interactive and dead simple to
use. For example on a LAN: just start the server application on a few
computers, start Blender on your computer, it auto discovers the servers,
and you can start rendering, zero configuration needed.

Brecht.

On Mar 16, 2014 8:03 PM, "Matthias Herster" <hermac03 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> first of all, a short introduction of myself:
> My name is Matthias Herster (usual nick: macro23) and I'm a student of
computer science at the University of Technology Graz. I am currently in
the last semester of my bachelor's degree and want to apply for
GSoC-program at blender, because I've used it now and then for some little
projects and want to help to improve it even more. After over ten years of
coding experience in a lot of languages, but especially C/C++, I think I'm
up to the challenge and have a realistic point of view for the effort of
such projects.

> Now to my questions, regarding the idea of a network distributed cycles
rendering, to refine my proposal/application:

> + Although I looked through the code in the past days and have done a
possible bug fix (T37973), I think I could need a brief overview of which
functionality regarding the network rendering of cycles is already
implemented, just to be sure.

> + What should be the final goal/functionality of this particular GSoC
idea in more detail? (or is it up to me to make detailed suggestions?)