[Bf-cycles] Optimization project

Daniel Salazar - patazstudio.com zanqdo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 06:40:07 CET 2014

Hi Coders! Dingto, Brecht, Lockal et al.

After finishing our small part of the Gooseberry teaser I can
certainly say it has been our most resource and time expensive work
yet (considering it's only 87 frames).

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B67Ge85fFdh3aW1FY2N5SUI0UXc

The rendertime went up to 3.5h in CPU mode using an AMD FX-8350
Octocore and about 2.5h - 3h on a GeForce 480GTX SC depending on
screen coverage of the character (both where running at the same time
so this might not be a super accurate time)

The heavy rendertime came mostly from the use of SSS in both the
caterpillar, and to a lesser extent the twig. At 2048 s/p the noise
was still noticeable on the character's body when animated so we ended
up pulling 3072 s/p. At this quality I can not see any noise even in
the original PNGs :)

I'm offering this complete scene as a production test file for
hopefully improving the rendering speed of Cycles. It is definitely
not a light scene, using up to 4 GI bounces, SSS and hair; on the
other hand, it is only 1 character in an outdoors lighting set with no
physical environment so I would think it's just a taste of the
requirements of a real gooseberry shot :D

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B67Ge85fFdh3enYwTEp2bG9zSlk

So pick your favorite frame, grab a cup of coffee and hit F12!

kind regards,

Daniel Salazar
patazstudio.com