[Bf-cycles] problem compositing raytraced DOF

Bassam Kurdali bassam at urchn.org
Tue Mar 4 20:20:48 CET 2014

On Tue, 2014-03-04 at 04:57 +0100, Brecht Van Lommel wrote:
> C is right in general, however the scene setup is a bit strange here.
> The camera is close to the floor, and the aperture radius is big
> enough that part of the lens is below the floor. If you move the
> camera up a bit the problem is gone in this scene.
The camera in my real scene is riding on an escalator, exposing the
character's feet at the end; hence the camera plane and the ground being
level - and my need to keep it that way.

> In general you indeed can't composite renders with alpha over
> accurately when there is motion blur or transparency, one of the
> layers needs to be clearly in front of the other for that to work
> (unless we supported deep compositing).
>
> What you are trying to do with is some workaround for lack of light
> groups I guess? I think what you propose will work if the foreground
> is in front of the background everywhere.
indeed, I'm using renderlayers as a substitute for light groups.

> If that's not the case it's still possible to add two layers together
> by letting both render layers mask out the objects on the other. Then
> you can simply add the layers together and it should be the same as
> the combined result. I did notice that the Mix node Add mode does not
> do this properly , it will take the alpha from only one of the images
> while it should be adding both in this case, so to get the correct
> results you need to add the alpha separately with its own Mix node
> with Add, and then use the Set Alpha node.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try the add node solution next :)