[Bf-cycles] Cycles as Default Engine

Thomas Beck software at plasmasolutions.de
Fri Jun 20 09:36:40 CEST 2014

In the meantime Thomas an me agreed on IRC that we should just do it. So
let's just switch.

As it's only a default setting I don't feel strongly for or against it
anyway - my point was just to raise awareness for an important missing
feature that can't be faked easily with cycles and to get the info if there
was a defined list of features that we have to complete before switching.

> I also completely agree. BI is still there and available for people that
> need and or have certain requirements. But I don't believe those
> requirements apply to the mass majority of users, at least not initially.
> Just look at any gallery, the majority of images are submitted are rendered
> with Cycles now. Those that are not tend to be by advanced artists that
> have specific needs (such as NPR, motion graphics, etc).
>
> Jonathan Williamson
> http://cgcookie.com
>

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 8:03 PM, Agustin Benavidez <
> agustinbenavidez at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, defining feature complete could be tricky, Cycles could lack of Env
>> light on shadows but BI lacks of global illumination, I seriously think
>> global illumination is quite more relevant when we are enumerating features
>> and which one is more important to most users.

>>> +1 to cycles as defualts
>>>
>>> BUT i still think BI should always be in blender especially since it has
>>> no affect on blenders ovveral performance......
>>>
>>> And its great for those quick renders especially when combined with
>>> cycles baking
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Nazim Mer

------