[Bf-cycles] filter for out of focus samples

Vilem Novak pildanovak at post.cz
Tue Jul 1 17:10:32 CEST 2014

Hello,
when rendering with cycles, I often struggle with the issue of needing too
many samples when using strong DOF effect.
I thought, maybe for the out of focus samples could be somehow filtered/
blurred similar to what happens to glossy samples when they have filtering
on?
This would help probably best with the samples that are closer to camera
that the focus plane, while I guess it could be easier to do it for these?

A nice example of the current problem can be the movie Whole by William
Raynisch.
While in this movie is the noisy defocus part of the visual style, I guess
most users would like the possibility to get a smooth DOF effect...

I am also not sure if it is easy to detect the length of the ray with glossy
materials, so sorry if this is simply a bad idea ;)

Regards
Vilem