[Bf-cycles] Micropolygon implementation

Nathan Vegdahl cessen at cessen.com
Mon Jan 6 06:07:16 CET 2014

> It's also ridiculously slow, so in practice you get nothing at all, hence
> the full pathtracing mode coming in prman 19.

Fair enough.  In my tests with Psychopath
(https://github.com/cessen/psychopath), it performs about 3-5x slower
than Cycles for the same input scene.  Which is indeed a large and
prohibitive slowdown for many scenes, especially in a
production/animation context.

I do think, however, that saying you get "nothing at all" is a bit
hyperbolic.  A micro-geometry approach allows you to render scenes
that would otherwise not fit into ram due to geometric detail.  It
also eliminates a lot of fiddly tessellation parameters.

--Nathan